Zoos Victoria has launched an online educational resource for teachers and their students called Zoo Education online, in the aim to bring real-world learning to students at home. The program consists of student activities, teacher resources, webinars and live animal streams.
Highlights from the Zoo Education online program include:
Students from prep to year 10 will use their STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) skills, knowledge and an engineering framework called Design Thinking.
The Love Your Locals program has lessons that lead students through an inquiry that focuses on two very special Australian species, the Plains-wanderer and the Orange-bellied Parrot. The program allows students from years 3–6 to practice literacy skills and present their solutions for wildlife.
Students have the opportunity to learn about sustainability, conservation and more. Teachers can register their class via the Studnet Webinars page.
• STEM Design Challenge Q & A (Foundation–Year 6)
• STEM Design Challenge Q & A (Years 7–10)
• Endangered Animals: Plains-Wanderer (Year 5–8)
• STEM at the Zoo – Animals and Ethics (Year 5–6)
• Endangered Animals: Australian Native Mice (Year 7–8)
• Endangered Mammals: Tasmanian Devil (Year 1–4)
• Wildlife and Waste: Sustainability (Year 5–8)
• Endangered animals: Good News Stories on Threatened Species Day (Year 5 –8)
• STEM in action – Careers at Werribee Zoo (Year 9–12)
Zoos Victoria is offering free Virtual Excursion programs for students. Each program includes a 30-minute webinar with a Zoo teacher and a teaching guide filled with activities. There are multiple webinars offered throughout the week.
Term 2 Virtual Excursions include:
• Wild Explorers
• Aussie Animal Adventurers
• Call of the Wild
• Animal Classification and Adaptations
• Geography, Gorillas & Us (Year 7-8)
• Geography, Gorillas & Us (Year 9-10)
• Sustaining Life in an Ecosystem
Teachers can stay connected with zoo staff and teachers from other schools by joining the Zoos Victoria Teacher Tribe Facebook Group. The Teacher Tribe community share stories, ideas and resources with each other.
Do you need ideas on how to keep the kids engaged while spending time at home? Be sure to check out our other blogs:
• Google Arts and Culture – virtual tours for kids
• NGV Kids – free kids activities for home
• Free ACMI online School Holiday Activities for kids
• Melbourne Zoo and Werribee Open Range Zoo streaming live videos
• Kids Storytime goes online
• Kids can enjoy Melbourne Museums at Home
• Tate Kids free at-home activities
• Sydney Opera House online hub – ‘For the Kids’
• Australian National Maritime Museum online activities and games