This spooky celebration called Halloween is becoming more and more popular each year in Australia. Whether your kids are into trick-or-treating or Halloween Parties, there’s plenty of scary events for kids around Melbourne.
Halloween is an annual holiday celebrated each year on 31st October and this year Halloween lands on Thursday 31st October. It originated from the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain when people would ward off ghosts by lighting bonfires and wearing costumes, but traditions nowadays are dressing up in scary costumes and filling up your lolly bags as full as you can!
Werribee Open Range Zoo is hosting their biggest Halloween party yet – Boo in the Zoo! Families are encouraged to dress up in their favourite costumes to get into the Halloween spirit. For four nights only, families can enjoy a spooky night of entertainment, crafts, games, and trick-or-treating throughout the Zoo.
There’s plenty of family entertainment at the Goo Zone, including the Zombie dancers or get lost in the Croaky Creepy Critters adventure maze.
Date: Friday 25, Saturday 26, Wednesday 30 and Thursday 31 October 2019
Location: Werribee Open Range Zoo
Price: $30 adult, $20 child (3-15 years), FREE infant (0-2 years), $15 Zoo Member (adult and child)
All proceeds from Boo at the Zoo contribute to the fight against wildlife extinction!
Two of the biggest Halloween events in Melbourne Spooktober and Luna Dark are joining forces this Halloween for a supersize spooky extravaganza at Luna Park. Over 8 nights and 4 days this Halloween festival will have it all, scary and not so scary haunts, thrilling rides, music, food, entertainment and trick or treating.
There are two interactive Haunted Houses – Extreme Phobia (12+) where your darkest fears become reality and Haunted Fairytales (5+).
• Haunted Fairytales is a family-friendly Halloween themed visual experience that will be open for both day and night sessions. These are self-guided tours but the haunted house residents will help guide (scare) you through. The residents will be welcoming but be warned, some props may frighten young children who scare easily and anyone afraid of the dark. Suitable for ages 5 and up.
• Extreme Phobia is not suitable for young children. It is recommended for mature audiences 12 years and up. Scare level is extreme, includes graphic content, gore and themes of horror designed to frighten all who enter.
• The WIZZ FIZZ Trick or Treat Trail is free for all children once inside Luna Park, but your gold coin donation will help My Room Children’s Cancer Charity spook cancer out of the lives of families throughout Victoria.
• Luna Park Rides will be transformed into a festival of lights and sounds that quiver and cackle. Jump on the spooky Carousel and watch the creepy shadows and shapes as your horse enters the forest. Lurch into the Ghost Train for a retro rattling trip back in time and take a twilight ride on the 107-year-old Great Scenic Railway for a howl at the moon.
• Carn Evil Games for all ages, take a stab at the zombie clowns, fish for some eeky eyeballs, or toss a pumpkin or two.
• Creepy Costume Competition at the Fang-tastic Photo Studio. You’ll get a souvenir pie of your freaky pose and have a chance to win prizes.
Have you ever wanted to walk through a cemetery on Halloween? Melbourne General Cemetery is hosting a special children’s Halloween tour. The tour will be spooky with tales of gruesome truths and historical facts. Kids are encouraged to dress in their scariest costumes. Suitable for children 6 and up, all children must be accompanied by an adult.
The City of Casey’s oldest sites The Cheese Factory will come to life with this year’s Halloween Trick or Treat Spectacular. Kids can enter the trick or treat trail and meet costumed characters along the way. Be sure to wear your spookiest costume.
On the night there will kid activities, entertainment, roving characters and music for the whole family, food and drinks will be available for purchase on the night.
Date: 31 Oct 2019
Location: The Old Cheese Factory, 34 Homestead Road, Berwick
Price: Child (2–16 years): $13, Child (under 2): free with paying child,
Adult: Free with paying child.
The Victoria Hotel in Yarraville is hosting a family-friendly spooktacular Halloween event. All money raised will go directly to Friend In Me in raising awareness around social intelligence, continuing to put on these events and sponsor primary schools with workshops.
The Friend in me Halloween Spooktacular ticket includes – pizza and spooky treats, one drink on arrival, goodie gift bags for each child, entertainment by Damo Music for kids, roaming characters, ghostly activity stations, trick or treat hunt and spooky activities by Mini Must Academy.
Melbourne’s Halloween House of Horrors is hosting a Halloween Trick or Treat Mini Maze in Craigieburn. Kids are invited to dress up in their spookiest Halloween costume and brave the scary maze.
Be sure to enter the best Halloween Costume Competition, enjoy novelty drinks and treats. Suitable for kids aged 2–12 years. All kids under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
Date: Thursday 31 October 2019
Location: Craigieburn, Victoria (the address will be announced 28th October to registered ticket holders)
Reserve your spot here
We try our best to provide accurate information on kid-friendly events around Victoria, but we do recommend that parents check details directly to confirm dates, times, prices as some details may be subject to change.